Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

More of "Selected Works..."

In this post, I want to paste in another little original work from Janet Wendy's Selected Works. I'm not sure how to classify this. Is it prose? Is it poetry? Readers of this blog can judge for themselves:

Travel Tales and Traveling Tails

In August 1998 David, Dorothyanne, their three children Christina, Peter, and John, and au pair Stacey, packed into their Ford van (the “White whale”) and travelled 3500 Km from Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia to Shilo, Manitoba, with their menagerie of animals, bird, reptile, and of course Pickles the poodle. They all survived the long journey.

GERBIL Feeling oomey
In this gloomy,
Moving cage.
Hope we stop soon
Or I'll drop soon
In a rage.

BUDGIE Where's my calm green tree?
No matter, lots of company,
Music, motion.
I'll join in, and sing,
Heigh Ho for life on the road.

MOUSE. Strange vibration, nose in covers.
Dark sensation, Bird above us.
Too cold too hot.
Happy? ...I'm NOT!

GOLDFISH Stormy weather,
Sky dark and threatening,
Loud noise deafening.
Wish I could steady waves in tank.
Feeling dank.

GECKO Earthquake?
Early warning
Of a storming?
Head down,
Cicada down.
Turning brown.

PICKLES Every one I adore
close and cosy.
Give me more.
Stop… open door…Quick pee,
Don't leave me.
First into van.
So much din.
Head down. Oblivion.

HUMAN BEANS Hummm
Numb bum.
Wish I could run.
It'll be grand to arrive.
No more drive.
Lend a hand
to unpack,
scuff in sand.
Silence and stillness.
Stationary bliss.

------------------------------

So, you be the judge. Whatever, however it's classified, it's one of my favourites - although it's unfair to single out just one short piece of prose or poetry for special mention, because like all of us who are close to Janet Wendy, I love everything she has created. Now that I think I've figured out how to cut and paste to the blog, I'll keep doing it from time to time. Maybe next time I will try to cut and paste a story or two from her memoirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment