Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Meals, ready to eat


Despite the absence of published comments on this blog, it does have readers, some of whom have spoken to me, phoned me, or sent me emails about various things I've said, or not said. At first I often thought I was just writing to myself, which was OK, but it's preferable to be writing for others as well. It's comforting to know that I'm not quite like "...Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, wasting its sweetness on the desert air"; not quite a "mute, inglorious Milton" - inglorious, yes, that I am, and no Milton either, but mute I am not; and if at times I seem to run on at the mouth, or rather the keyboard for a mite too long, the remedy is at hand, just switch me off.

Today I'll say something about food. More and more we are relying on prepared meals - Meals on Wheels, meals provided by our family, friends, neighbours in our condominium; and meals from the gourmet take-out establishment called Red Apron, which produces mouth-watering curries, Italian, French and Spanish dishes, other exotica, and good plain Canadian cooking too that can be delivered to our door, hot and ready to eat, or frozen and reheatable in oven or microwave. We sampled the first on a special occasion, our wedding anniversary banquet, and have gone back a few times for the frozen goodies. And mouth-wateringly good goodies they are, a most ample serving too. A frozen dish, for instance of curried chicken, is said to be a meal for two people. They must be very big people, or we are very small eaters, because each of the frozen dinners we've had, has been big enough for us to get two meals out of it, and sometimes there's a bit left over. Too bad we don't have a dog or a cat. If my arithmetic is right, this makes Red Apron meals about the same price as the ones we get from Meals on Wheels, and there's no comparison for taste, piquancy or, I suspect, nutritional value. Of course the Meals on Wheels are delivered to the door, but like the Red Apron meals they have to be heated in the oven or microwave. And also, of course, both Meals on Wheels and the Red Apron service offer the option of a hot midday meal delivered to the door.

One fan of this blog complained that a photo of Wendy and me at our golden wedding anniversary banquet that appeared on an earlier post to this blog soon vanished without trace. So I've put a slightly larger copy of that photo at the top of this post. I tried to put it at the end of the post, but the technology or the necessary keystrokes or finger movements on the touch-pad seem to be beyond me, so there it is at the top. For those who may not know, the red and white ribbon around my neck doesn't support an olympic gold medal or other fancy decoration, but something much more precious, a photo of Wendy and me that was presented to us as a medallion to hang around our neck on this occasion and if we chose, other occasions too.

1 comment: