Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Voices from the past

Here are excerpts from some of the messages I've had from former students. All but one of these came from people with whom I've virtually lost touch, so they reopened a welcome line of communication:



Congratulations on receiving the Order of Canada. It is well deserved! I often think of how much you supported me and helped me to organize my year of electives trip around the world during medical school. Thank you so much...I think it was one of the best things that I ever did. Now my daughter is hoping to study medicine and I hope that she does it with a global perspective. As I  am slowing down my work at the hospital I am doing more teaching in the developing world. I was teaching in Uganda and Haiti last year and am planning to go to Tanzania in October.  Wishing you all the best!  



John so very very pleased to hear that you have been appointed as an
Officer of the Order of Canada. So well deserved - your contributions to
epidemiology here and abroad have been stellar. I am proud to have been
your student - lo those many years ago. Congratulations! 




I read the Ottawa Citizen this morning with great pleasure and pride of your achievements, and your admission into the Order of Canada.  I cannot think of a more deserving recipient.  I feel truly privileged to know you, have had you as a teacher and mentor,  and to have learned so much from you over the years.

Congratulations on your Order of Canada award  it is well deserved!  You are truly a role model for young physicians, and have made a lasting contribution to the field of epidemiology.  The Citizen article was lovely but didnt tell the half of what a wonderful person you really are.


I must say you have always been a "GIANT" to myself and Christopher, and we are both delighted that Canada has chosen to recognize you!   Congratulations, on an absolutely fantastic ach
ievement - and fit and deserving emblem of your life's work. 

It is very sad that you aren't able to share this with Wendy, and I am not deeply religious, but I am spiritual - and I believe she will be there with you in spirit when you receive it.  How could she not be?  After spending your whole lives together she is a part of you.



And here's one more that came to the Dean, and was forwarded to me on July 17:


Please forward my congratulations to Dr. John Last.  Dr. Last was very influential personally to me during my studies at the Faculty of Medicine from 1975-1979.  

He enabled me to do an elective rotation in Sri Lanka in pediatrics as well as in Public Health.  It was the highlight of my medical studies and even though I eventually became a plastic surgeon, it enabled me to be much more appreciative of different cultures and customs in patients as well as people I have met throughout my life.

I have always been indebted to Dr. Last for this wonderful experience, and am thrilled that he has received this honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment