Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Locked out of my car

Twice when I was a family doctor many years ago I locked myself out of my car. The memory of these minor misadventures bubbled to the surface recently for no obvious reason. One occasion was commonplace. I had a car door that locked when I shut it if I pressed a button on the handle. I saw my keys dangling from the ignition switch just as I slammed the door. Many of us do this at least once. The other time I locked myself out of my car wasn't commonplace. I had my car keys in my hand as I slammed the car door, trapping both ends of the heavy woolen tie I was wearing, a few inches below the knot, forcing me to stand slightly stooped. That car had a keyhole only in the door on the passenger side not the driver's side, presumably because it was an Australian version of an American designed car. I was part way through my daily round of house calls, so I had my medical bag which contained a pair of scissors and I might have been able to cut myself free, but when I dropped the bag at my feet, my trapped tie prevented me from bending down to open it. I was on a quiet suburban street in mid morning and there wasn't a soul in sight. It began to rain, gently at first, then harder. By the time the postman came by delivering mail, I was soaked, and when I handed him the keys so he could set me free, he was laughing so hard at my predicament it took him an extra moment or two to get the key into the lock. After that I always made sure when buying a new car that both front doors had keyholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment