Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The promise of youth

In an earlier post about my impressions of Edinburgh, I boasted about feeling like the Eiffel Tower because so many people wanted to have their photo taken with me. An extremely well known IEA member, a past president, said to me, rather enviously I thought, that no one at this meeting had asked to be photographed with him. I spoke to most of these photographers, asked them why they wanted my photo now that I'm so far over the hill, no longer the editor of the Dictionary of Epidemiology or of major textbooks of public health. Without exception, all I spoke to had used the Dictionary (or one of the 14 or 15 translations); several said it was their most essential educational tool, not only used by them, but one they urged their students to use too. Some of my editorial comments on definitions struck responsive chords too. Remarks like this make all the effort worth while. I hope all the collaborators and contributors to the Dictionary read this: they share in the praise: I could never have done this alone. My lasting impression of talking with all these photographers is of enthusiasm for epidemiology, and for public health sciences in general. This makes me feel very good. All the hard work, enjoyable for sure, has been worth it.
Somewhere, perhaps in the Royal Scottish Museum, I saw a print of that wartime poster, "Is your journey really necessary?" I think my journey was well worth while, even if strictly speaking, not necessary. Conversing with enthusiastic young comers and those of my old friends who had made it to the Congress was rewarding and enjoyable; seeing the little bits of Edinburgh that were all I could manage in my debilitated state made it worth while too. So did the visit to the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh and its library, and the little gathering there of people who love books, especially old books. Most of all, the worldwide collegiality, mingling for a few days with this gathering of like-minded people, made all the stresses and strains of the journey very well worth while. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts about the XIXth World Congress of Epidemiology, so don't be surprised if I post more on this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment