Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, August 8, 2011

Edinburgh -- why did we ever leave?






Every time I come back to this beautiful, craggy old city, I wonder why we ever left. Well, I know why of course: ambition and the recognition that there were fewer prospects for our children here than in an expanding "newer" nation such as Canada. This time my range is limited by my weakening muscles, but even within this range there is much to admire and love. Even such mundane matters as the superiority of Scottish bread and British TV (especially the BBC) are cause for delight; and the skillful blending of the new architecture with the old is very pleasing to behold. I won't be able to walk to the summit of Salisbury Crags or Arthur's seat this time but I saw both and much else, even I fancy our old home on Greenbank Crescent and Braidburn Park, as my plane came down on a sunny afternoon last Friday. The World Congress of Epidemiology got off to an excellent start last night with a mind expanding and provocative John Snow lecture by George Davey Smith. I'm about to take time off for more exploring of old haunts this Monday morning; I'll return to duty this afternoon. So I'm back after a splendid walk up from Grassmarket to Chambers Street, Blackwell's book shop (which was formerly James Thin &Co) and the Royal Scottish Museum. I wish I had taken my camera! It was one of those perfect photogenic days, with sunlight streaming into the galleries, all packed with people attracted into the warmth and enticed by free access. I saw that incredible mechanical clock with all its moving parts, 10 meters high, with bizarre cartoon figures that revolved to tinkling tintinabulating bells, performing monkeys and donkeys and goodness knows what all else, just as it began its 1 o'clock performance, I watching from the top level, perhaps 150 little children seated in orderly rows on the floor below. Now, back to work. This evening, after the IEA business meeting, there is a Civic Reception for VIP guests at the City Chambers on the High Street (I wonder how will it compare with the corresponding event in Florence in1999). More in my next post. The topmost photo is the gallery of the museum; the other three photos are attempts to capture a tiny fragment of the whimsical clock that is one of the most popular exhibits in the Royal Scottish Museum. (I went back with my camera next day to take these photos).

No comments:

Post a Comment