Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 3, 2010

Spring time in Ottawa


Our seemingly never-ending spring continues after a momentary interruption, a steamy, oppressive day yesterday. But today was another lovely day of clear warm sunshine with occasional clouds. The profusion of blossom and spring flowers was the best I've ever seen in Ottawa, too lovely to enjoy on my own, so I bundled Wendy into the car and took her for a short spin along Queen Elizabeth Drive around the Rideau Canal to Dow's Lake to enjoy the display of tulips that are at their best now. As well as tulips, there are large beds of daffodils, crab apple blossom, lilac in full bloom, magnolias, apple blossom and others I don't recognize. Even the thousands of yellow dandelions in the grass that most people think are weeds looked splendid I thought, better than lawns that are nothing else but manicured grass treated with pesticides. Our enlightened local government has banned pesticide treatment of lawns. The two photos above are among the selection I took today. I'm tempted to add others but these are enough to show what the city looks like today. Wendy thoroughly enjoyed her day out, so it was well worth it. Incidentally, the office tower visible above the tree tops and the bed of orange-colored tulips is where Rebecca works. I suppose she was hard at work in there while Wendy and I were admiring all the flowers and blossoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment