Pages

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 18, 2017

failings of democracy

It's just as well that I'm not a serious blogger. If I were, I could write reams about the psychopath who currently holds the office of president of the United States. I did write a few comments on his unfitness for this office when rumours were rife that he might be a candidate, but after the electoral college declared him president, I switched off. It was obvious that he would drag the USA's reputation down. When I awaken long enough to observe events in the formerly great nation south of Canada, I glimpse briefly what is happening -- he is indeed  dragging the USA down. So long as he doesn't start a nuclear war I'll be content to stay on the sidelines, watching, shuddering at the growing evidence of his incompetence, grossly flawed judgement, ineptitude, unfitness for the office he holds. Like the Brexit vote in the UK, his election illustrates the fundamental failure of democracy: it can't protect an otherwise stable democracy from demagogues and plausible charlatans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment