Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Just published ….

Just published: The IEA Dictionary of Epidemiology, 6th edition


I’m really chuffed to see how this book has grown in stature, size, and gravitas – with an occasional light touch or sly dig at pomposity. It’s nice to see my name on the title page too, this time as one of four associate editors.  It began for me in 1981 with a phone call from my former mentor, Kerr White, the president of the International Epidemiological Association: he asked me to compile and edit a dictionary of concepts, methods and procedures we use in epidemiological practice and research. My tenure as editor in chief ran from 1981 until 2003, during which there were 4 editions of the Dictionary, each more authoritative and informative than its predecessor.  It was translated into many other languages, including French, Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Farsi, Serbian, Slovakian, Greek,  Ukrainian, Russian. My name was soon known to epidemiologists all over the world. At IEA meetings I felt like the Eiffel Tower because so many wanted to be photographed standing next to me. This latest edition consolidates the reputation the work established when I was at the helm. I'm delighted to see that my successor as editor in chief, Miquel Porta (Barcelona and Chapel Hill, North Carolina) has strengthened the book in so many ways, including occasional deft and subtle humorous touches.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I hope news of the updated edition "spreads" throughout the medical community.

    ReplyDelete