Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

OIW Writers' "Retreat" 2014

Why do we call it a retreat when it’s an advance? My advance at the Writers’ Retreat last weekend was impressive, thanks to Phil Jenkins’ stimulating impact on my aging, sluggish brain. I went to this retreat more for the collegiality of a gathering of writers, ten of us altogether, than to transform myself into a new Dickens. I’d not have been disappointed if I’d experienced no benefit. In fact the story I’ve been working on for the past few weeks shows significant improvements that resulted from Phil’s suggestions. These were non-specific suggestions directed at all of us, not me in particular, but I felt that I was the main beneficiary. I came home from the retreat/advance with renewed enthusiasm. The first thing I did when I got home was to sit at the keyboard for an hour or so, moving text around. The story now pulls the reader in with the first sentence, and my long-winded original opening which sets up the time, place, characters, atmosphere, and hints at what is to come, is moved on into the body of the story.
Aside from my personal gain, the experience was delightful in every way: excellent company, fine weather, good food and a lovely setting, the Galilee Centre at Arnprior. I recommend future versions of this experience unreservedly to other writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment