Pages

Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Farewell Harald Ziemer

Today an email from Dodie Ziemer brought the sad news that her husband Harald Ziemer had died suddenly and quietly while sleeping beside her,  Dodie and Harald arrived in Adelaide as immigrants from Germany in Christmas week 1955.  I met them when I was on call for the entire Western Clinic on Christmas Day.  I think it was only their second or third day in Australia.  They were recently married and their migration to Australia was in some ways rather like an adventurous prolonged honeymoon. 

We soon became good friends.  Years later Harald told me once when we were visiting them that Wendy's and my home - our first small rented cottage when we'd been married ourselves only for a few weeks - was the first Australian home into which they had been invited.  

They did well in Australia. Harald was registrar of the Lutheran boy's college in Melbourne for many years. Their four children have all done well too, and all have produced admirable members of the next generation. They have begun to establish a dynasty in Australia, successful migrants who are contributing to Australia's success. 
Harald Ziemer, Wendy, Dodie Ziemer, Melbourne, August 2005
Harald's family, Dodie, their four children, all their grandchildren, can look with pride and love upon their accomplishments and contributions. As for me, I am aware of another gap in my life as another good and true friend departs. I will miss Harald, and keep his memory alive in my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment