Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Lester Breslow

Continuing with reminiscences about mentors and other eminent people I've encountered in my life, here are some remarks about the delightful man who was the undisputed intellectual, philosophical and moral leader of public health science and practice in the USA throughout the second half of the 20th century, Lester Breslow.
Lester Breslow, c. 1980


In 1961 while I was a visiting scholar in the MRC Social Medicine Research Unit in London, I first met Lester Breslow.  Among many kind acts, Jerry Morris took me to a weekend workshop on the epidemiology and prevention of coronary heart disease, held at St John’s College, Oxford.  One of my recollections of the weekend is that bells chiming the quarter hour at every Oxford college within earshot kept me awake all night.  I was introduced to Lester again a few years later by my mentor at the time, Kerr White. Lester said we’d met before, at the workshop on coronary heart disease in Oxford.  It was a good illustration of his prodigious memory.  

Not long after we moved to Ottawa late in 1969, I first visited Los Angeles. My father was a visiting professor of anatomy for a few months, there for the first or second time in what turned out to be annual 4-month visits that continued until 1986. On the door of the office next but one to my father’s was Lester Breslow’s name. He was the professor of social medicine in UCLA medical school, former dean of UCLA School of Public Health, a very eminent, widely known and admired leader of thought and opinion about public health.  I met him again and his wife Devra at the home of Milton and Ruth Roemer, whom Wendy and I had met in New Zealand when we were there in 1970 for Jonathan’s open heart surgery and I was briefly a visiting professor in Otago University medical school. The Roemers were extremely kind to Wendy and me at that stressful time, the beginning of a warm friendship; our friendship with Lester and Devra Breslow also began in the early 1970s and quickly matured, providing additional incentive to visit Los Angeles.  

Lester soon had an avuncular relationship to me, not just professional and interpersonal but perhaps something more. He had quite a striking resemblance to my real Uncle Lester who would have been 30-40 years his senior. The resemblance was not only physical: their mannerisms and gestures too were similar, as were their values – the values of liberal intellectual Jews. They had roots in the same part of Europe, near the south-east corner of the Baltic in what is now Lithuania or northern Germany. 

I got to know Lester much better when I was appointed editor in chief of the huge reference textbook of public health and preventive medicine eponymously known as Maxcy-Rosenau, after its first two editors. I had taken on this task reluctantly and with misgivings. I felt intimidated by the thought of holding my own, a brash, callow Australian thrust into undeserved leadership of an attempt to restore this venerable American classic to its position as the source of authoritative information about all aspects of public health science and practice.  Lester was a member of the advisory board I selected to support me, and he gave me a tremendous amount of encouragement and help. I had a vision of what the book needed to be, and shared this vision with a few trusted friends and colleagues, one of whom was Lester.  He reassured me with his calm words and accompanying body language that he approved of all I was planning to do.  About 25 years later when he was interviewed for the series called “Voices” – dialogues with prominent epidemiologists – that appear from time to time in the journal Epidemiology, his response to the question about important epidemiologists paid me an extraordinary and I think undeserved compliment

Here is what Lester said about me; ‘CB’ was the interviewer:

CB: Who would you regard as some of the most important epidemiologists during your lifetime?
LB: Two of the people I would mention would be Richard Doll and John Last. I think they have had a tremendous influence on epidemiology, both in methods and in substance. Richard Doll has been a leader in the identification and documentation of cigarette smoke as a major cause of lung cancer. In recent years, he has devoted substantial energy and time to assuring that the results of that epidemiology are implemented. For example, he has been quite prominent in participating in trials that have established methods other than epidemiologic (legal methods, for example) that we need to do something about [cigarette smoking]. He has done other work, some of which I have even criticized, but I certainly think that he is one of the outstanding epidemiologists of the world and in my generation.
John Last has been much more of a leader in methodology and in standardizing epidemiology. He has made a tremendous contribution with his dictionary, and beyond that, he is a prolific writer. I regard those 2 as being outstanding.

Surely he was confusing me with someone else! I’m proud of concepts I’ve identified and described but I’ve never been a methodologist.  All the same it’s very flattering to be named at all by someone of Lester Breslow’s stature, and especially so in the company of Richard Doll.
Lester Breslow with great grand-daughter
Ayelet, in 2005

Wendy and I became good friends with the Breslows in the last quarter century of Lester’s life. We visited them in Los Angeles and our paths crossed at many international meetings, especially those of the IEA – the International Epidemiological Association. Lester had a long, productive life, intellectually active to the end, which came in his late 90s – another example of the fact that epidemiologists have long lives. He clearly enjoyed life to the fullest extent possible. He was a lovely man. I am very happy to have been able to count him among my good friends.
 
Lester and Devra Breslow a few weeks before his death  in 2012
I agree with him about Richard Doll.  In a future post I’ll discuss Richard Doll and his wife Joan Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment