Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 9, 2013

outline of revised memoirs

So far all the revisions and fine-tuning of my memoirs have preserved the original chronological structure.  After reading Salman Rushdie's Joseph Anton and Robert Hughes' Things I Didn't Know and a few others I've begun to work on a rearrangement that departs from conventional chronological retelling of my life, to discuss the important events, experiences, thematic highlights under specific headings.  So far, the headings are the following:


Life-altering event: meeting Wendy

Moments of truth and Critical decisions
-       Leaving Western Clinic (1959)
-       Leaving Australia permanently (1964)
-       Leaving Edinburgh (1969)

What have I done that’s made a difference?
-       Epidemiological model (The “Iceberg” concept)
-       Editor in chief reference textbook of public health
-       Conceptual approach to public health practice
-       Definitions – Dictionary of Epidemiology
-       Philosophical (ethical) foundations

Missed opportunities – What might have been?
-       Alternative histories (creative writing)
-       Social demography at Australian National University
-       Cross-appointment Harvard Med School, School of Public Health
-       Foundation dean, Newcastle Medical School
-       Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene, UCLA, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh

Mentors, teachers, advisers
-       Profiles of notable people I’ve worked with or met  

Marriage and family life
-       Evolution of our family
-       Movements (migrations)

Travels and Third World experiences

What would I do differently if I could relive my life?

Lessons learned
            -  Carpe diem
            -  Overcome shyness
            -  Foster teamwork

Probably I'll add to these, for instance experiences with being taught and teaching others myself. 

4 comments:

  1. I am no fan of Rushdie and find him difficult to read. In an autobiography my preference is for chronology. Events of importance will arise as you go along. Whatever you chose, best wishes for every success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I've been reading a good many memoirs, and have found several of those that begin with a defining event or experience more interesting, more readable, than a straightforward chronological record. I'm far from sure I can make it work but I am trying to rewrite according to this outline.

    Rushdie's memoir, Joseph Anton, is very readable, in contrast to his novels. But he reveals himself as a vain, egotistic, very self-centred man. That's one of the ways this book is so good: it's an honest self-portrait, warts and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the outline, John, but I hope there's room in there somewhere for a bit about your early life, which I found quite interesting. Your blog is one of my favourites.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which of the Margarets in my friendship and acquaintance network wrote this? Rest assured, Margaret whoever, a recital of events in my early life will remain part of the revision, either intact as it now is in the chronological record, or inserted in context where it fits best. I need to say how my character and personality were shaped, I believe, by the circumstances of my upbringing. For instance there is a description in the paper print-out, not included in the excerpts I've posted on the blog, of emotional interactions with my mother and other relatives. I will be sure to include this in the final version, which I hope to publish as an e-book, perhaps around the end of this year. That description needs careful revision and rewriting: I need to convey a complex emotional state of mind.

    ReplyDelete