Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Another driver's test

Earlier this week I had my 3rd periodic driver's test, a ritual I've had to undergo every two years since I reached 80 years of age. I was in a group of about 14-15 seniors, most taking the test for the first time, I and one other for our third time. It consisted of a group discussion lasting about an hour and a quarter in which the woman conducting the class walked among us, standing directly in front of each of us in turn and observing us closely - our demeanour, grooming, speech, how we reacted to her questions. Later she took one old lady aside and I heard her telling this old lady tactfully that she would be required to take a road test. Then there was a multiple choice set of 50 questions, half of these on rules of the road, the others on road signs - their shape, colour, what they say (which wasn't shown on the signs in the test). Pattern recognition and colour sense are important components of this skill.  I'm happy to say that I aced it, got 100% and completed the test before anybody else. I was pleased to have this evidence that the part of my brain involved in performing this test functions as well as ever.  It was reassuring after my observations lately that my short-term memory is deteriorating, a common neuropsychological finding among old people.  I went straight from the test centre to the licence bureau to renew my driver's licence for another 2 years.  However, I doubt whether I will continue to drive for another two years.  Although it's good to be able to pop out to a neighbourhood shop on the spur of the moment I don't enjoy driving nowadays. It probably makes sense to quit while I'm ahead, rather than wait for a more dramatic episode like a traffic crash to send me a signal that it's time for me to stop driving. I'm aware of a risk that if I stop driving I might tend to become more reclusive and solitary than I already am but I'm also aware that it's very easy to call a taxi; and that I'll probably save money.  Allowing for depreciation, insurance, etc, it costs about $4500 annually to maintain a car and it's unlikely that I'd spend that much a year on taxis.  The loss of autonomy is the hardest part of this life change to get used to. At least by thinking about it before it actually happens I might soften the impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment