Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Order of Canada

Order of Canada, Officer




Several weeks ago I had a phone call from the office of the Governor General of Canada, informing me that I would be appointed as an officer in the Order of Canada. At first I thought someone was yanking my chain, that this was an elaborate practical joke. I emailed and phoned back to the GG's office; yes, it was true.  Nothing much happened for a while, then I began to get emails and letters, and finally a small package containing two lapel pins, the elegant little white stylized snowflake with a little gold maple leaf in the centre; and finally today, on the eve of Canada Day, the list of new appointments to the Order  of Canada is published in the newspaper.  So it's true, and I can finally believe it. I am appointed in recognition of my contributions to public health and epidemiology.  I can wear the elegant little lapel pin, and at an investiture later I will get a larger medal to wear on a ribbon around my neck on formal occasions, assuming I ever get invited to any. Naturally I am really chuffed by all this.  I just wish Wendy was here beside me to share in the glory. It isn't, and it won't ever be the same without her.




John Last, MD honoris causa Edinburgh, 2003














                           

 With my two dictionaries,
   APHA, Boston, 2006
With some of the books I've written or edited













No comments:

Post a Comment