Pages

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 11, 2012

The end of civilization as we know it?

The financial section of yesterday's Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper, a.k.a.  the Moan and Wail has a news item about slumping sales of Vegemite in Australia.  Apparently it's not grabbing the taste buds of the current generation of kids, as it did earlier ones.  The Seventh Day Adventists who originally made it in my childhood sold out to Kraft Foods long ago, and Kraft tried unsuccessfully to go global with it. Basically it's consumed (inhaled? absorbed percutaneously?) only by Aussies and Kiwis and those closely connected thereto.  

It's even possible if current trends continue, that Kraft might some day stop making Vegemite.  If they ever do, I hope by then I'll be long dead. I've lived outside Australia more than half my life, close to 50 years I suppose. But I have eaten Vegemite almost every day of my life, certainly every day when I'm home. I hope to keep doing so until I die.  To be on the safe side, I will add a note to my Advance Directive, the instructions about terminal care.  If I require intravenous fluids to keep me comfortable as I slide towards Valhalla, I want those caring for me to ensure that I get intravenous Vegemite. 

Barack Obama evidently doesn't like Vegemite; when he visited Australia one of his entourage suggested it would be improved if flavoured with chocolate, strawberry or vanilla. What a calumny!

No comments:

Post a Comment