Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Deluxe Assisted Care Living

A few days ago I had the roots of a troublesome long-dead tooth extracted. I half-expected this to be a traumatic procedure, but it turned out to be very simple and quite painless. However, I used it as an excuse to check myself into one of the 40 or more places in Ottawa that provide 'assisted care' for elderly and ambulant infirm people. I expected to be feeling a little delicate and in need of some pampering for a few days. As it turned out, I really didn't need much but it has been very pleasant to sit at a dining table and be waited on, and to be fed gourmet meals prepared by a qualified chef. The residence I chose for this experience is top of the line with really excellent food; it has a salt-water heated swimming pool, exercise room, a well-stocked library, 4 or 5 computers (mostly used to play solitaire as far as I could tell, though I used it only to check email) and backs onto a park beside the Ottawa River. And it's only about 2 Km from R&R's home. Its only shortcoming is that although there are nurses and nursing aides on the staff and a visiting physician, it does not provide long-term care: if I were to move in and develop one of the illnesses of old age that require long-term care I would have to move to another establishment. All the same, I think I will consider this my first choice if I find that I can't cope with activities of daily living in my apartment. The alternative of personal care workers and staying here might turn out better; but "Amica" has other advantages, notably congenial other occupants with whom I have found it easy to converse on interesting topics. I do get lonely in my apartment, though not so desperately so as to be tempted to move just for that reason. But it's something to think about if a time comes when I can't put my socks on unaided.

No comments:

Post a Comment