Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Getting up to date again in physics

About 20 years ago when the chattering classes were chattering about black holes, string theory, antimatter and other totally mysterious ideas, I thought I ought to bring myself up to date, purely as a self-defensive survival strategy. I read books by Richard Feynman, Stephen Hawking, and scientific popularizers like John Gribben. Lately I've had a few conversations with Richard's very bright nephew Martin who is a first year student at Ottawa U, studying physics. I didn't feel as strongly motivated to get up to date all over again, but browsing in one of the neighbourhood book shops, I saw several remaindered book in a series called "The Big Questions" and on impulse, bought two of them, one on physics, the other on mathematics. It was an inspired impulse. A lot has been happening in physics in the last 20 years, and after a rapid run through The Big Questions in physics, I feel more confident that I can hold my own in conversations with young Martin. I've learned a great many new details and some new principles of physics - there has been a great deal of progress in the past 20-30 years. Some of the new ideas and information are disturbing, alarming even, and some are reassuring. One fact I didn't know before is the vital life-protecting role of the earth's magnetic field. I knew the earth's rotating/revolving molten metal core had something to do with creating the magnetic field and I did know that interaction of the magnetic field and cosmic radiation is responsible for the spectacular displays of the aurora borealis and aurora australis. But I didn't know that the magnetic field has a vitally important role in protecting all living organisms from exposure to lethal solar radiation. I knew that the magnetic field shifts, responding to turbulent movement in the earth's molten core. If it were to happen that even very briefly at such a time of shift, the earth's magnetic field failed to shield living body cells from lethal solar or cosmic radiation, all life on earth could be fried to crisp in a matter of moments. Now there's a thought to help you sleep more easily in your bed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment