Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

If....

On April 28 I posted a note in this blog about Tim Flannery's new book, Here on Earth; a Natural History of the Planet. Distractions like Retreating at Pembroke last weekend, and many others, delayed me so I've just finished the book this evening. It is powerful, persuasive stuff, eloquently written withal, and a book I will spread among my grandchildren with the hope that they may be among the gallant band in their generation who can undo some of the harm that my generation and many preceding mine, have done to Gaia, planet earth, our only home. The final sentence in the book should be carved above the entrance to every legislature in the world: "...I am certain of one thing -- if we do not strive to love one another, and to love our planet as much as we love ourselves, then no further progress is possible here on earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment