Pages

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Stork flaps its wings, Repulsing the monkey, Riding the tiger

These colourful phrases identify moves in the graceful exercises of Tai Chi. I had my second weekly lesson today, and confirmed an impression I had at the end of last week's lesson. If there is an equivalent in voluntary muscle movement to dyslexia, I have it: I am unable to coordinate my arms and legs the way well drilled soldiers can. I have a faded recollection of being asked to resign from army cadets when I was at school 70 years ago because I had great difficulty marching in step with the others and could never swing my arms so my left leg and right arm moved in the same direction at the same time. In Tai Chi exercises I'm supposed to move an arm and the leg on the other side of my body in synchrony, and I can't ever seem to do this. As for standing on one leg, that's impossible without my cane to support me. I'll keep going, just be the least coordinated member of the group. The others, all at least 20-25 years younger than I and all absolute beginners like me, take pity, help me as much as they can. Today I got through the entire lesson without a twinge of sciatica so that's one indicator of progress: muscle tone must be better. I'll keep going, no matter that I can't stroke the parrot's tail, strum the lute or carry the tiger to the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment