Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sympathy and Condolence Messages

Yesterday and today I've begun tidying up, taking down greeting cards and condolence cards. There's some overlap - people sometimes used Christmas cards to send condolences - and some wrote letters. Altogether 89 can be classified as condolence cards, and this blog is excerpts from some of them. If I can do it, I'll paste them into the Guest Book. Unless otherwise stated, these originated in or near Ottawa.

I was a volunteer at Jack Purcell Pool with Wendy. She was a tireless volunteer and she was helpful to everyone. She did a lot of extras like fixing bathing suits. I often wondered how she found the time to do all she did. (Susan Woolsey)

You and Wendy are in our thoughts and prayers (Valerie Ehasoo, Victoria BC; and Chris, Chloe, Gavin and Freya; sent with happy photos of past meetings in NZ and Victoria)

Wendy's death is a real loss because very few people like her have ever walked the earth (Janet Byron Anderson, Westlake, Ohio)

I join you in mourning the loss of such a shining star in our lives... In the midst of my sadness I have to smile when I think of Wendy. Her smile was so infectious. It was like a belly-laugh that came from somewhere deep inside her, a sense of joy that shone from behind her eyes. Everyone she knew basked in the warmth of her personality and sense of (often wicked) fun. She was a gift I will always treasure. (joan Fairweather)

I have admired your mutual dedication to facing a terrible illness with such grace and dignity (Deb McNeill)

Wendy gave me advice and provided much wisdom that I still live by today. I hope these wonderful memories will bring you much comfort (Lynn Quok-Mak and family)

We send you our love and that of all the family. With that love comes the hope of a peaceful Christmas with the love of all your family and friends holding you safe (Veronica McTernan and family, Edinburgh, Scotland)

We have all lost someone very special from our lives. She was the kind of person who touched people in a profound way. If I had known Wendy all my life I would be a better person just by her influence and example. I will cherish her memory and the moments shared with a very special lady (Heather Bale)

I will really miss my morning swims with Wendy. She was always of such good cheer, very fair, kind and wise. We had some wonderful discussions (Christian Jaeckl)

I will have fond memories of Wendy, particularly her grace and good humour even when such qualities must have been hard to muster (Clare Scullion)

Wendy was even sunnier than Kitty, which is going some. Kitty's main recollection was the awesome Wendy up on a ladder, trimming the tree next to the parking lot (Henry and Kitty McCandless, Victoria BC)

She was a wonderful person and we feel privileged to have known her (Natasha and Reiner Holbach)

Diane has dedicated all her beautiful hollihocks to Wendy, one for each child she helped (Ian and Diane Potter, St Peter's, So Australia)

May the memory of her lovely smile shorten your hours of loneliness (Julita and Kris Pirozinsky)

She was such a precious and wonderful person and I feel so lucky to have known her (Sally Small, and Kurt, New York, USA)

She was a most generous hearted person to all who knew her. Family Life has lost a very precious member who added zest to all our meetings and offered her own hospitality over and over again. We have lost a special friend (Valerie Hiscocks)

Wendy...was a woman of warmth and remarkable talents (Gunther Abramson)

She was a wonderful woman and we really appreciated her intelligence, humour, and sense of caring (not to mention her fantastic singing voice!), She made a dent in many people's lives at the nursing home and in the lives of fellow Abbottsford members. Thank you for sharing her with us (Abbottsford House staff)

Fiona and I have admired the way you've managed the past year. Your blogs have given us an indelible impression of the experience. If I ever find myself in a similar position, you will serve as my role model for coping with it (Jeff House, San Francisco, CA, USA)

I always enjoyed working with Wendy when we were both volunteers at the Museum of Nature. I will be at the celebration of her life in February (Isobel Muir)

She was such a positive person and i always picture her with a big smile on her face... you are a lucky family to have had her in your lives (Karen Craven and family)

...so many happy memories (Virginia Peck)

Wendy was an absolutely wonderful woman. I always looked forward to seeing her and I will never forget her beautiful smile. You and Wendy have taught me so much throughout the past few months and this experience will remain forever a pinnacle in my nursing career. I am thankful and honoured that I was able to help you care for Wendy. You are both such an inspiration and I can only hope that one day I'll be lucky enough to have a marriage and family as beautiful as yours (Sara Kerrigan, student nurse and personal support worker)

I will miss her light and warmth... her book - what a beautiful body of creative work! (Diana Fantu)

The two of you clearly had an extraordinary marriage and her death is a terrible tragedy for you (Vic and Ruth Sidel, Bronx, New York. USA)

Wendy was a very special lady (Barbara Drake and family)

I am so sorry. I know that you and Wendy had an amazing life together and these experiences will be conversations often with Rebecca, David and Jonathan. Your grandchildren will miss her as well. I feel privileged to have had Wendy as a friend. She was accomplished, and so modest and accepting (Helen & Amy Scott; Helen's husband died of ALS).

She was a lovely, cheerful, and wonderful companion for you as well as being such a charming person for the rest of us (Mary and Henk de Koning)

She seemed a very fine person who touched many lives, including ours (ALS Team, Ottawa Hospital)

I knew Janet - the name we called her at [Otago Girls' High] school - during the years when we were growing up at high school. And I remember what a staunch and strong person she was as a friend. Her parents' life was not easy and Janet had to work very hard to succeed in her education. She was such an honest and sincere person with high ideals that I remember these qualities after all these years. Her passing will leave a huge gap but also many priceless memories of the good years shared with you and the family (Lesley Jenner, Christchurch, New Zealand)

It was a joy to know Wendy and her cheerful, friendly ways (Helen and Erik Spicer)

Wendy was an exceptional human being. She will be missed by many (Leo and Lubja Benoiton)

Wendy's happy, positive influence on all who knew her will be missed (Audrey and Eric Martin)

I loved Wendy and will miss her cheerfulness and laughter (Suzy Juneau)

It was good to stay in touch over the 60 years since we were such good friends at Otago Girls' High School. John, you have been a tower of strength in her illness (Shirley Scambury. Christchurch, New Zealand)

All of us in the Family Life Group will remember Wendy with great admiration and respect, for her dignity and cheerful acceptance of the disease that she knew was to end her life. She was an amazing lady and a model for us all. We will certainly miss her but we will not forget her (Joan and Bishop John Baycroft)

You both have been such special friends. Wendy's wonderful sense of humour, her closeness to real life, and her big heart made her a very close friend over the more than 50 years since Harald and I came to Australia. We thank you both for your faithful friendship (Dodie and Harald Ziemer, Glen Waverly, Victoria, Australia)

Now some excerpts from the Guest Book and e-mails:

When my marriage to her son ended, she made sure I knew that our relationship would not. I was so touched by this, it still makes me cry. Wendy was such a giving person. I was so lucky to have known her. (Dorothyanne Brown)


I loved hanging out with Wendy, hearing about John's latest research, discussing ideas or talking about books, news related to family or friends (even friends I never met who I came to know through Wendy's eyes), hearing about the innumerable sewing jobs she took on, her latest art project. Wendy was very good at listening but when we had coffee on our own, she talked and talked; and I loved that. Wendy is one of the special people in my life. I will always cherish her.
Mariem Martinson, Victoria, British Columbia

Wendy was a wonderful friend to our family for many years. The children have lovely memories of receiving cards and letters from her when we lived in India. When I would visit John and Wendy in Ottawa, on trips back to Canada, I was always guaranteed a great meal and lots of stimulating conversation.
Karen Trollope Kumar, Hamilton, Ontario

Grateful to Wendy for the marvelous lesson of determination and courage, we offer our sincere sympathy to you, John, and your family.
Michel & Claire Caron, Ottawa, Ontario

...Then there were her letters. When John wrote, he was usually concerned with his work and what was going on in the world. Wendy complemented that with accounts of family doings and developments. She wrote as though she was chatting to you, often with vivid descriptions and light-hearted gaiety. Sometimes there were nice little sketches to display her natural talent.
Peter Last, Adelaide, Australia

If ever two people were meant for each other, it was John and Wendy. They gave wisdom and joy to all who knew them, family and friends alike. We treasure our times with them. With our sympathy, Devra & Lester Breslow, Los Angeles

I will always remember the twinkle in Wendy's eye and her gentle spirit that shone through all - even when her ALS had taken its toll.
My deepest condolences to you John and all the family as you grapple with her loss. May your love for her, and for each other, provide strength and solace in the time ahead. Pat Huston, Ottawa, Ontario

Wendy and I worked together as volunteers at the Canadian museum of Nature for many years. I am constantly reminded of her friendship and kindness by an oxalis plant which she gave me and which I still treasure. When I was a guest in your home I was impressed how lovingly you spoke of each other. You were a wonderful couple. My thoughts are with you at this time. Susan Rust, Ottawa, Ontario

A gracious, loving and much-loved spirit has left us. John, my heart goes out to you and your family in your loss. Chris Mills, Havana, Cuba

Wendy... my neighbour, my dear friend, my confidante & my mentor.
"Do your best every day"
"Forgive yourself & move forward"
"Always help those less fortunate"
Wendy was a remarkable woman whom I loved & admired. Her friendship towards me & my family was a wonderful gift.
Nancy Masters, Ottawa, Ontario

Wendy was full of life and didn't let things deter her from her goals. She was fun to be around and was always cheerful. We enjoyed being with Wendy and John and spent much time laughing and listening to Wendy's amusing stories. We will miss her friendship very much.
Pat and Don Muldrew (Ottawa, On)


The last time I saw Wendy was on a visit to Ottawa in mid 2007 when she was her usual lively good humoured self. She and John were wonderful hospitable hosts. I loved hearing about Wendy's tireless volunteer work, especially when she was quite elderly herself - what a dynamo! It was a real pleasure on that trip to reconnect with my Canadian cousins who I hadn't seen since childhood - they are a credit to John and Wendy's parenting skills and I just wish they all lived a little closer.
You will be sadly missed Wendy. My love to all the Canadian Lasts at this sad time.
Anne Last, Perth, Western Australia

I will never forget her as a neighbour when I was young, as a good and loyal friend to my mother, nor her enormous warmth and generosity when we visited you in Canada. Ironically we were on holidays in the South Island of New Zealand once more until a week ago, and had frequent thoughts of her while we were there.
Richard (and Patsy) Sweet, Sydney, Australia

Dear John - The way you and Wendy cared for each other over the past years has been all of a piece with your life's work. It has been a light for all of us as to how we can care for each other - and for this amazing planet we share.
David Waltner-Toews, Kitchener, Ontario

Ralph and I are so very sorry to learn of Wendy's death. We remember you both with great fondness, as our two favorite Bellagio co-residents during our time there so many (almost 20!) years ago. I can still see Wendy sitting outdoors, breathing in that magnificent scenery all around us, and capturing it so wonderfully in her sketches. She gave us several of them, just before we all parted; and by coincidence, just last week I came across them again, as I was re-ordering my study at home. What happy memories they brought back.
I so enjoyed our walks and talks, Wendy's high spirits and spontaneity, her naturalness and directness. In that milieu of such almost-intimidating luxury and elegance, stiff manners and aloofness, I think I might have felt very alone, had it not been for Wendy, who shared my own joy and wonder at being guests (for 5 weeks!) at that stunningly beautiful villa high above Lake Como, with the Italian Alps all around. In her presence I felt "at home," befriended, valued. That was a gift she had, I think, of making others feel she could see the best in them. Giving them the courage to be themselves. Inspiring us (as she surely inspired me) to "pass it on."
Ingrid Wendt, Eugene, Oregon

Dear Professor Last
I am very sorry that Mrs Last has passed away. I will never forget her kindness.
Masashi Tsunoda, Niigata, Japan

It is with deep sorrow that we heard this news. Your blog site says it
all - so very eloquently. What an inspiration you are - in fact, both of you were! Your offspring speak from the heart so well too!
What can we say to reduce your sorrow? Rejoice in your family and
friends and know your beloved is with you.
Ruth Bonita, Robert Beaglehole, Auckland, NZ

Oh John... My deepest, deepest sympathies. It was truly an honour to have known
Wendy. I will never forget helping her plan a birthday gathering for you a few
years ago. She was always so warm and sweet.
Sylvie Desrochers

I am very sorry to hear of Wendy's passing.
Your email is beautiful -- a tribute to both of you. You were both very fortunate to
have had each other and to have appreciated each other and this great good fortune
that you both earned and enjoyed -- and for so long. You have indeed handled it as a
gentleman. Esmee and I offer our sincere sympathy -- our thoughts are with you.
Steve Corber, Vancouver, BC

Dear Dr. Last,
I am so sorry to hear that Janet Wendy gone. My English is limited. I
moved that you love each other for your whole life. I would like to
say Hearty condolence to you may you have strength to bear this great
affliction.
Hehe Cheng, Harbin, PRC

I am both sorry that Wendy has passed away, and glad that it was in such a
gentle way and with such lovely acknowledgements from her loved ones.
You have been blessed with the love of wife and family, and you all seem to
share the gift of words too. It has been an honour to read and share in the feelings expressed in your blog. It was an honour to get to know Wendy too as a friendly neighbour.I send you wishes for continued joys and insights in life, as Wendy would
have inspired.
Wendy Philpott, Mont Tremblant

Dear Professor Last,
We are so sorry to hear the sad news of Mrs. Last’s passing.
Tears fell fast when we read your letter. You two have been an ideal couple for us.
We were fascinated with her warm personality. We will never forget the grand time we had with her in Japan and Ottawa.
We wish to extend to you and your family our deepest sympathy.
My father Humio Tsunoda joins us in expressing our great regret.
Sincerely yours,
Yasuhiro & Sawako Takikawa
Morioka, Japan

2 comments: