Pages

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 20, 2010

Wendy's photo is in a medical journal

For some years, the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology has been sponsoring a series they call 'Voices' in which prominent epidemiologists are interviewed in front of a video camera. The interviews are preserved in perpetuity in the Society's archives. In addition, an edited transcript is published in the Society's journal, which is called Epidemiology. I was interviewed for this project in May 2007. My interview lasted about an hour and a half, which may help to explain why it has taken so long for the edited (and much truncated) transcript of the interview to find its way into print. I was asked to supply two photographs, one dating from early in my career, the other a current or very recent photo. For the latter, I chose the photo of Wendy and me that was taken at our golden wedding anniversary banquet, expecting that it would be cropped to show me only. To my surprise, the editor of the journal left the photo intact, so I am very happy to report that an excellent photo of Wendy Last has appeared in the September 2010 issue of this prestigious scientific journal. You can see it, and the edited transcript of the interview, at:

http://journals.lww.com/epidem/Fulltext/2010/09000/A_Conversation_With_John_Last.32.aspx#

I think it's absolutely splendid that Wendy's photo, a very good photo too, will be preserved in print and electronic archives, in such places as the National Library of Medicine in Washington, DC, the Royal Society in London, England, and several thousand other medical and scientific libraries all over the world. Wendy richly merits this distinction! (The same photo appears in full colour in the blog post of July 28).

No comments:

Post a Comment